Monday, January 12, 2009

Windows 7 Beta on Dell Mini 9

So I planned on some elaborate post with intricate details on installing Windows 7 Beta build 7000 on the Dell Mini 9, but I decided on this ....

Just do it !

I booted the DVD from a USB connected drive and everything worked as expected. No driver issues, all network, sound, video worked like a charm. I installed the Ultimate version and it used 9.36GB of disk space.

I installed the Win 7 Beta update that was on MSDN and let it connect to find about 847KB of other updates, then let it sit for about an hour to see how much RAM it utilized with a base build. It settled on 460MB. Not too bad, but I'll probably do the 64GB SSD and 2GB RAM upgrade this weekend.

So shoutout to @ye110wbeard on twitter for telling me to not be a chicken. I had planned on backing up my current config just in case, but in the spirit of all that is geek, I just dove in :-)

0 comments: